BUTTERFLY TOURISM DESTINATION, COFFS HARBOUR, MID NORTH COAST NSW
The Butterfly House is located adjacent to the Pacific Highway just 5 minutes south of Coffs Harbour in New South Wales, and is surrounded by rural properties.
The iconic Coffs Harbour Butterfly House is one of the region’s most amazing tourist attractions and is one of only three such attractions in Australia. It provides a fully enclosed, climate controlled, tropical habitat for butterflies and operates regardless of the weather.
Along with the butterfly house enclosure and exhibit areas the business includes a café, gift shop, maze and visitor carpark. Also included with this 1.551 hectare property is a four bedroom private residence.
|Entrance||Driveway / Carpark||Driveway / Maze|
Property / Business information
The Business Includes:
- Air conditioned (reverse cycle) 283 sq.m. butterfly enclosure housing hundreds of live Australian butterflies in an indoor subtropical rainforest setting
- Invertebrate display area
- Butterfly and invertebrate breeding facilities
- Large reception area, well stocked gift shop and multiple storerooms
- A café with seating for up to 60, fully equipped kitchen with ample storage and preparation space
- Plant sales area
- Three public toilets (2 are wheelchair accessible)
- Office area and full staff bathroom facilities
- Bitumen carpark with space for 30 vehicles plus bus parking. Overflow parking available on grass areas
- Plant nursery with ‘tunnel house’ and shade houses
- Outdoor shelter area with concrete floor (used by visiting groups)
- Two double garage size sheds/workshops, carport and small storage shed
- Outdoor wooden maze
- Landscaped gardens and picnic area
- Professional website & Facebook page
- Over $50,000 in plant & equipment (market value)
- Three rainwater tanks with a combined storage of 67,500 litres
- An on-site natural spring bore producing good quality water
|Rainbow Stag||Stick Insect||Spiny Leaf Insect|
The Butterfly House continues to provide Coffs Coast visitors and locals with an opportunity to “Get close to Nature” while developing a viable and stimulating tourism experience based on interaction with butterflies and other wildlife, in a way that develops an appreciation of nature and promotes conservation. We see the Butterfly House remaining as one of the premier attractions on the Coffs Coast, working in cooperation with industry partners to promote Coffs Harbour as a complete holiday destination.
- We anticipate that visitor numbers will continue to increase at a rate of approximately 5% per year. Current visitation is in excess of 30,000 pa.
- Turnover has increased by an average 10% pa over the last five years.
- The Butterfly House has the space to expand and the potential for increased visitation and revenue is limited only by the imagination.
|Rear of Butterfly House||Gift Shop||Café|
|Butterfly House Interior||Butterfly House Interior||Butterfly House Interior|
Potential additions could include, but are not limited to;
- additional displays, exhibits and activities. e.g. aviaries, fish ponds, reptiles, small farm animals
- increased marketing of live butterflies for release at weddings etc.
- increasing plant production for sale.
- the promotion of the facility as a suitable function and workshop venue
- a mobile display and educational facility for visiting local schools
- providing a venue for farmers markets
- the production of framed butterflies
- a dedicated children’s play area.
- expansion of the gardens with pathways etc
- Open plan kitchen/dining room/lounge with wood heater
- Main bedroom with built-ins, and ensuite bathroom.
- Three other bedrooms (one currently used as an office)
- Ducted reverse cycle air conditioning throughout
- Wrap around veranda overlooking gardens and extensive rural views
- Family bathroom
- Separate toilet
|Centre of Maze||Maze||Carpark||Plant Sales|
The unique selling point of this business is in the name, The Coffs Harbour Butterfly House. Nowhere else in the region, in fact the State (one could be daring and say, the country) can visitors immerse themselves in the indoor tropical habitat of hundreds of live butterflies, learn of the butterfly’s amazing life cycle in a one-on-one conversation with a trained guide, come face to face with many of Australia’s other strange invertebrates, get `lost` in a maze, purchase a locally crafted gift and then relax in a tranquil café with some of the best coffee around!
This is a very viable and profitable tourism business producing a good return on investment.
Well established with increasing visitor numbers and turnover, this is an ideal family business with plenty of room to expand business operations.
The present owners will provide full training and the current staff are all happy to stay and work with new owners.
The work lifestyle and Coffs Coast area are a bonus. The Coffs Coast has it all and here you can enjoy rural living close to some of the county’s best beaches and world heritage rainforest.
Coffs Harbour boasts all the facilities you need, great schools, great restaurants & clubs, airport with daily flights to Sydney, Brisbane & Melbourne, several hospitals, International golf course and is a tourist ‘hot-spot’ with the most ‘liveable’ climate in Australia (CSIRO).
This is an opportunity not to be missed.
A printer friendly version of this page is available here.
If you wish to contact the owners via email please fill out the form below and click the submit button.
NOTE: Red fields are required.